Saturday 14 May 2011

Swatches & Review: BB Couture Vampy Varnish

Hello lovelies!

Today I have for you my first ever BB Couture polish, which I am super excited about. BB Couture (along with Zoya, Color Club, Butter London, China Glaze (yes, you read that right) and a whole bunch of others) is one of those brands I would never have heard of if I hadn't started reading nail blogs. Unfortunately, it is also one of those brands that doesn't ship internationally and that wasn't available through any of my usual etailers, either.

Luckily for us international polish fanatics, the lovely Kim from overallbeauty.com does ship worldwide. Before I even get to the polish, I just want to say that my experience with Overall Beauty was such a pleasant one. When I placed my order something went wrong and I was charged the wrong amount for shipping, so Kim emailed me and asked me if I was willing to place my order again, which I would have done anyway, but then she offered me a free polish of my choice as compensation. How awesome is that?! Kim has just been such a sweetheart and I love that there are still online etailers that actually care about their customers. :)

My package arrived a couple of days ago and I was so excited as I tore into it. Vampy Varnish was the first polish I put on and OH MY GOD, GUYS I think - dare I say it - this might have turned into my favourite green polish of all time (and to think I wouldn't have originally gotten this!).




Cannot. Stop. Posting. Pictures. So. Pretty. *spazzes*

Ahem. Vampy Varnish is a dark, dark forest green jelly (is it a jelly? The glitter kinda takes away the squishy texture, so I'm not entirely sure.) with loads of super sparkly glitter thrown in. I'm not sure if it's only gold glitter that flashes green because of the polish or if there's actual green glitter in there. Either way, all that sparkly goodness is just delicious.

This reminds me of sunlight falling through the treetops in a forest in summer. However, when I said this to my dad he was all NO WAY. This is what my dad has to say about this colour (translated by yours truly): "This is a Jaguar painted in British Racing Green standing in the shade under a tree with little patches of sunlight falling on the surface." I'm not sure what to make of this, but I think it means he likes it.

I used three thin coats for full opacity and, as all that gorgeous glitter makes it dry semi-gritty and dull, I slapped on a generous coat of Seche Vite to make it all smooth and shiny. Application was a breeze. I love the BB Couture brush. It's slightly thicker/broader than the Essie brushes, but nowhere near OPI-thick. They're perfect. And the fan out so well, so it's super easy to get a nice line along the cuticles! The only thing I would say is that it's best to wait for a minute between coats, otherwise you'll end up with some abysmal cuticle dragging. Just something to be aware of.

As I say, I think this might be my favourite green polish of all time. It's definitely in the top three. What I love most about this is that it is a vampy shade, but it's not. At least not in the traditional sense. You know, vampy makes me think blackened plum, burgundy, deep red, that kind of thing. This is different and awesome and I love how, in the shade, this looks almost black but not quite. You can always tell that it's not quite black. And then when the sunlight hits it.... Mmmmm sparkly and beautiful and I actually tripped down the stairs the first time I saw it outside.

Wow. I do believe this is my most rambly post to date. What can I say, I hear this is what love does to you. :D

Do you have Vampy Varnish as well? What's your favourite green polish?

1 comment: